Are you experiencing jaw pain or headaches?
You may want to schedule a visit to West Annapolis Family Dentistry in Annapolis, MD. TMJ disorder is a serious condition that needs to be treated with precise diagnosis and detailed treatment planning. If left untreated, TMJ disorder can lead to damaged teeth and chronic pain. Annapolis dentist Dr. Maria Colucciello and Dr. Jerry Berkow provide comprehensive exams to check for signs of TMJ disorder and other bits disorders. Dr. Colucciello and Dr. Berkow plan a personalized treatment plan to alleviate your symptoms and restore health back into your smile. If you are experiencing any symptoms associated with TMJ disorder, you can schedule a visit to West Annapolis Family Dentistry.
Signs of TMJ Disorder
TMJ disorder affects the temporomandibular joint (TMJ). The temporomandibular joint allows your jaw to function and move properly, when it is compromised patients can experience a range of symptoms.
- Headaches and migraines, especially in the morning
- Teeth grinding
- Tooth sensitivity
- Pain and discomfort in the jaw, neck, and shoulders
- Shifting teeth
- Clicking and popping sound when moving the jaw
- Difficulty moving the jaw
- Chipped or cracked teeth
Causes Of TMJ Disorder
There are a number of different factors that may contribute o the development of TMJ disorder.
- Misaligned teeth (Malocclusion)
- Teeth grinding
- Jaw clenching
- Hormonal changes
Treating TMJ Disorder
During your visit, we provide a comprehensive exam to check for damage to the teeth and signs of TMJ disorder. With the results of the comprehensive exam, we will create a personalized treatment plan that addresses your specific needs.
- Splint or Mouthguard: An oral appliance will help encourage an aligned bite and proper jaw position. An oral appliance can also help prevent teeth grinding and jaw clenching during sleep.
- Restorative Dentistry: Some restorative dentistry treatments can help realign your smile and restore damaged teeth.
- Orthodontics: Orthodontics can help gently realign your teeth and alleviate symptoms associated with TMJ disorder and other bite disorders.